What does the change mean? New L permits for EU/EFTA nationals who are assigned to Switzerland but remain on foreign employment contracts will be available starting July 1. Each canton has its own procedures when the quota is exhausted. Extensions of L permits are not subject to quotas, and 120-day permits and four-month short-term permits are also unaffected by the exhaustion of quotas.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate and ongoing.
- Visas/permits affected: L permits. The exhaustion of quotas does not impact 120-day permits or short-term permits.
- Who is affected: Employers and EU/EFTA nationals applying for new L permits.
- Business impact: Companies may need to adjust start dates and timelines.
- Next steps: Employers are encouraged to contact their BAL representative to discuss options for recruiting and hiring EU/EFTA nationals who require L permits.