A multitude of life events may lead you to seek a furnished apartment. Whether you have an upcoming move or job search, business or family travel, home renovations, or a major medical event, a corporate apartment or short-term rental can offer peace of mind during times of transition. Here are eight ideas on how to get settled into your temporary housing quickly, and how to make your part-time residence feel as comfortable as your everyday home:
- Get unpacked. “Setting up shop” in your temporary apartment can be as simple as transitioning out of suitcases. You can expedite that at-home feeling by unpacking your clothes and other belongings, using closets and dressers to store your wardrobe and personal items just like at home. Do this as soon as you arrive, and store your luggage away out of sight.
- Set up your office. If you’re traveling on business or interviewing for jobs, having a fully functioning office is a big part of what will set your trip up for success. If your apartment has multiple rooms, designate one as your exclusive workspace and create a home office that’s separate from the rest of the residence. Plug in your laptop using Wi-Fi, brew a pot of coffee, and get busy!
- Fill the fridge. A fully stocked fridge will make you forget that you’re away from home. As you get settled in, you can create an instant feeling of domestic bliss by taking a trip to the local grocery store and filling up the refrigerator with your favorite foods, drinks, and snacks. Having familiar treats at the ready will make you feel like you’re in your own kitchen. Plus, you’ll be ready to prepare meals right in your apartment if you stock up on the ingredients you need.
- Cook a meal. While you’re doing your food shopping, be sure to pick up essentials to make breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Just like at your house, you can save plenty of cash by eating in, and that starts with whipping up some great meals in the comfort of your apartment’s kitchen. To create a homey feel, simply bake cookies or roast meat—the delicious aromas will make you glad that you skipped the restaurants!
- Make it smell like home. In addition to home-cooking your meals, there are other ways to instantly create a sense of peaceful relaxation through aromatherapy. Think about what scents make you happy at your house—perhaps a certain flavor of incense, a special candle, a room spray, or a diffuser? Since smells trigger memories, there’s no faster way to evoke a feeling of being in familiar environs than to personalize the fragrances in your furnished apartment.