The following are among the Commission’s proposals to enhance existing programs:
• Standardizing passenger information obtained through the Passenger Name Records system, which uses data to identify high-risk travelers;
• Improving the functionality of the Schengen Information System (SIS) to allow the use of facial images for identification and to enhance the existing alert system, among other improvements.
• Establishing systems to automatically update data regarding stolen or lost travel documents through the Stolen and Lost Travel Documents (SLTD) database;
• Establishing automated cross-checking of Advance Passenger Information against the SIS and SLTD databases;
• Enhancing the functionality of the Visa Information System by enabling biometric matching, reducing the age limit for collection of children’s fingerprints and facilitating cross-database data comparison; and
• Reforming the EURODAC system – a fingerprint database used to identify asylum seekers and irregular border-crossers – by improving return and readmission procedures.